Smitty's Spitty's

This is a blog dedicated to the happenings in my life and the thoughts that I have from day to day. Anyone viewing this blog is more than welcome to send an email or use MSN Messenger to contact me at rsmith2@gmail.com.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Homewood, Alabama, United States

All in the blogs!

Monday, September 26, 2005

Law School

Who says law school can't be fun?

I started going to Birmingham School of Law in late August and have been steaming along since the start. I always heard ugly rumors of how difficult it would be and how overwhelming the reading and briefing would be. Well yea, its overwhelming if you don't have a routine setup. But for me it hasn't been no where near difficult for the simple reason that it's actually fun. Someone told me once that you have to "treat it like a job". That was the best explanation I've ever gotten for law school prep.

How did I come to this conclusion that law school is fun? Well just like everything else, its all in your head. It's all about in what perspective you see things. I always try to see the good in something and don't allow the bad to overwhelm me. Sure there is lots of reading.. sure I can and have gotten humiliated in class a few times... but in your mind you have to not only bring out the positive, but also bring out the future. I'm a lowly first year (first month in reality) scum in a petri dish. My role is to work hard and shut my damn mouth (unless my professor makes me speak). Next year I will have experience and can have a different mentality... one of being a mentor to someone else.

For me, being in law school has been a blessing. Both my mother and father have gone to the same law school and graduated (My mom is the only one practicing law though). I feel family pride and I feel that I have something to prove.. not only to myself but to my school because I wasn't a shoe-in when I sent in my application... I had to get help from my parents and others to be given this chance. And so I won't waste it...

LESSON 1: Always look at the good in a situation and use those qualities to your advantage.

LESSON 2: Most everything is a mind game... So start lifting mental weights to strengthen your endurance.. leave Gold's Gym for another day.

LESSON 3: "Know your role and shut your mouth" - Steve Austin (Be mindful of where you stand in a certain situation and you will always have an advantage)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan M. Smith said...

Leaving my own comment?? I just want to see how this works!

9/28/2005 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home